Monday, June 20, 2011

Sleep Deprivation = Diet Killer

Unfortunately, I have gained 2 pounds. But if I tell you what I ate this past week, you would be amazed that I only gained 2! Thursday - Sunday I ate a bacon cheeseburger, fries, half a package of double stuffed heads or tails Oreos, various sandwiches, practically an entire pizza, pancakes, sausage, french toast casserole, breakfast casserole, and biscuits. Oh, and a candy bar. I'm not exactly happy with what I ate, but the damage is done.

So what does this have to do with sleep deprivation? Most of it was eaten while I was volunteering at the Relay for Life. I was awake from 7:00am on Friday til about 8:30am on Saturday. I ate to stay awake and my options were not healthy. Then it felt like I didn't do much besides eat and sleep for the rest of the weekend. Add that all to the fact that I didn't even look at the gym last week, it's a wonder I only gained 2 pounds!

I think another contributing factor was that I stopped logging my calories. I had been really good about logging everything I ate, but the closer I got to the event the less time I spent logging my food. And of course when I stopped logging, I stopped paying attention to what I was eating. Classic case of not taking my own advice. I don't know how many times I've told people that when they don't record what they're eating, they stop paying attention. Lesson learned.

So I'm back on the wagon. Again. Logging my calories and trying to keep moving. Maybe I need to keep crocheting to keep my hands busy. We shall see.
- J

2 comments:

  1. You go girl. I have been working out hard at the gym the last few weeks, the problem with that is that I am soooo hungry when I work out. I also justify that I can eat whatever when I go to the gym, which is sadly not true. I am going to try pre making the tuna salad I keep telling myself I will have for lunch, and the black bean salad to have with dinner. Because when I am hungry I am ravenous. I've been following this for awhile. Keep it up - and join Spark People to log your calories, it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, need to get back to logging what I eat. I think the thing is that I just don't want to stop eating. I want to lose the weight but I'm sick of not eating out (and so is Mitch) and counting those calories. le sigh.

    ReplyDelete